Friday, May 4, 2012

Frame It!

Hi, friends! I hope that each of you are enjoying the arrival of Spring all around you. Here in Texas we are enjoying warmer (but not stifling!!) weather as well as bluebonnets and lots of Blue Bell ice cream! Yum!! 


So, moving on! Today I wanted to talk about one of my favorite decorating items- frames!! If you're custom framing your most cherished Van Gogh (ahem, for me, it would be a Van Gogh print... let's be honest...) or putting your favorite pictures of your puppy and best friends on your dresser, frames are everywhere! They are a perfect way to express what is important to you, regardless of what that is. No matter where you look, there are tons and tons of options for frames, and so many that can suit you however you like!


Before I jump into pictures, I just want to put a quick plug in for one of my favorite places to shop for frames- Hobby Lobby! Now, they don't know me from Adam (and that's ok!!), but in my humble opinion, they have a great selection of frames and tend to have them on a 50% off sale CONSTANTLY. My guess is probably every other week or so?? ALSO, they offer 40% off coupons on a regular basis, so now you have even more incentive to get the huge frame you've been eyeing and fill that sucker! I realize some of you may not have a Hobby Lobby close by, so if that's the case, come visit me and we can go on an all-day trip! Kidding... but I'm sure that there are lots of craft stores out there that can also give you a great selection of frames for a great price. Their website is not fabulous, but their stores sure are! Check it out if you haven't yet!!


                                     


Ok, back to frames. So, the reason I am in love with frames is that the possibilities for a great decor option is endless. You can get them in any size and color and put them practically anywhere! Maybe not your ceiling, but you know, your home is your home! ;)


SÖNDRUM Frame IKEA The mat enhances the picture and makes framing easy. PH-neutral mat; will not discolor the picture.
photo credit: ikea
This frame is a perfect example! It is $3.99 at Ikea and would be perfect as an accessory to shabby-chic decor like the picture below from Coastal Living Magazine.




photo credit: Coastal Living Magazine


Or, if you prefer a more modern, colorful look, the exact same photo frame could go well in this room:


Colorful living room
photo credit: www.ivstatic.com
Just add this color to your frame, and you've got a perfect pop and a great place to share your favorite memories!


Benjamin Moore- Scandinavian Blue


I also love this frame from Ikea- only $4.99!! This frame can be hung or stand alone, and if you don't like it in white, a quick layer or two of paint, and it's red! Or black! Or, blue! Whatever color you want it to be, it can be! 

KVILL Frame IKEA Can be used hanging or standing, both horizontally and vertically, to fit in the space available.
photo credit: ikea


 The rule of thumb is that you typically should hang frames in odd numbers and should either hang a painting alone or in groupings of no less than three. I tend to go with what looks best, and if that is 20 frames, hang 20 frames! If it's one piece that you love and that speaks to you, hang it by itself! Here is a perfect example of what 20 frames hung together would look like, just in case you are leaning towards a large grouping and aren't sure if you should go for it. 

Robin's egg blue
photo credit: elle decor
So, if you think that this is all fine and good but happen to have lots of pictures and frames that are NOT the same size, don't fret! The picture below from younghouselove.com is a perfect idea of how you can display photos that are important to you in a coordinated way. If your pictures and frames are not the same size or type, the best rule of thumb is to coordinate by color of the frame, mat and color picture. This way you have details that give the display some commonality without being too matchy-matchy. 

photo credit: younghouselove.com
I also wanted to share with you a picture of some frames that I have had with me since I started my first full-time job about 5 years ago. These pictures are from Target and came in two sets of two pictures. I originally bought the first set and ended up with extra wall-space in my office after a year or so. So, I went back to see if they had another set, which happened to coordinate perfectly with what I already had. I have a fear of things being too matchy-matchy in my personal decorating style, so the matching sets are hung diagonally from each other, just to mix it up a bit. These frames have been with me for years and are consistently one of my favorite wall-hanging projects of all time.

 Please excuse the reflection of my office lights! They don't turn off at all, ever. 





Thanks for stopping by, friends! Hope this has inspired you to add your personality to your favorite room through framed pictures. Happy decorating!!


Cheers,
Catrina 

No comments:

Post a Comment