Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Back to Black

Taking risks in your home means alot of things to alot of people. It can mean changing the paint in your home that you bought and moved in as-is, it can be knocking down a whole wall or it can be buying the couch that absolutely no one in the world likes but you. Except that you adore said couch and want to live every day on it. 

I'm a fan of taking risks in your home- it's your house- YOU live there everyday, so why not? My personal risk involved lots of black. (I know... huh??) 

I have said for years and years that if/when we ever got a house, I WANTED, no... NEEDED a black room! It must happen! I got a huge variety of responses with so many people so kindly saying, "well, I trust your judgment...". haha! (That means "you're crazy" in Texan...)

Well, the formal living in our home was the perfect room to create my dream and sure enough, it went from this: 



To... this:

Benjamin Moore-Onyx

I know, right? Well, to balance it out, there was a splash of linen white added to the room and no black ceiling. 

The rooms below were a bit of my inspiration for taking the plunge:


McCroksey Interiors- Photo by Chad Johnson

LDa Architects- Photo by Sam Gray Photography
Design A Line Construction- Photo by Roger Davies

So, here's what the final product looks like! Again, I have to mention that I am SO lucky to have such an awesome FIL who is an exceptionally skilled painter and who literally makes my color dreams come to life. 

Left back corner of the room

Back wall and "right now" place-holder curtains!

I am in love with the wood detailing in this room!

Close up of crown molding

So, here we are. The black room in all of its glory- as best as an iPhone can capture at night. I still haven't picked an accent color for this room, but I am genuinely enjoying the process of taking it slow and really being sure of my decor decisions. I see it like this: if I rush it, I'll regret it. So, I'll enjoy an empty room that is exactly the color I want it to be until the time comes to fill it. 

I know I'm not alone in taking a risk or two to make my home exactly what I want it to be- what's yours? 

Until next time...

Cheers!
Catrina

2 comments: